Samstag, 1. Juli 2017

Gardener´s Propagation week July 2017: Hydrangea Cuttings

                                    Dear readers,

it is gardener´s propagation week July and in my post I´d like to show you how I take cuttings from my hydrangeas. I tried myself in taking hydrangea cuttings for the first time last year and it seems pretty easy. The two cuttings from last year  developed roots very quickly and have grown into little plants already. One of the cuttings has even been blooming this year. Compared to rose cuttings, my success with hydrangeas was much higher. Whereas, rose cuttings seem to likely rot before they develop any roots, hydrangea cuttings don´t seem prone to rotting. Please participate in Gardener´s Propagation week by writing a post about plants you propagate. Please share the link of your post in the comments.
Have a lovely week!
Best wishes,
Lisa


If you would like to try yourself in propagating hydrangeas, all you have to do is take a cutting, which is about 10 cm long, cut the cutting´s leaves in half, stick the cutting into some rooting powder and finally in a small pot filled with moist sowing soil. Finally put a plastic bag over the cutting. If you´re lucky the hydrangea will develop roots and might already bloom next year.



In the following pictures you can see my two hydrangea cuttings from last year. I planted them in one container, but since they have been growing so much I will probably put each of them in their own container. Regarding winter hardiness, even as small cuttings they seem to be as hardy as the mother plant. I had the cuttings outside all winter and although we had an extremely cold winter the cuttings survived without problems. One of the cuttings already produced three blooms as you can see in the pictures. The other cutting is growing vigorously instead of producing blooms, but I am sure next year it will bloom as well.






10 Kommentare:

  1. Hi Lisa, I am pleased to see that you are using an ORGANIC rooting powder! Your hydrangea cuttings from last year look very healthy and how nice that one of them has already bloomed.
    I finally may try to root some roses for the first time soon, and will see if I can find an organic rooting powder here too, since from what I heard and what you say as well, the success rate of rooting roses isn't that great. Maybe the rooting powder helps at least somewhat. It is definitively recommended by the pros :-)!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Dear Christina,
      thanks for your kind comment! Great that you´re thinking about rooting roses. Yes, I think with rose cuttings it is rather tricky. Nevertheless worth a try! I bought this organic rooting powder in a garden centre in England. They don´t sell rooting powder in Austria anymore. So in case they don´t sell it where you live, you could look for some when you´re on one of your England vacations or I think you might also get some from Amazon. Please share your results in case you try it. Would be lovely to see how rooting roses works for other people!
      Best wishes,
      Lisa

      Löschen
  2. Good morning Lisa,
    Great that you can grow new hydrangea's from cuttings. I never tryed to do so.
    Have a wonderful day
    Rosehugs Marijke

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Good morning Marijke,
      yes it works so well! You might give it a try!
      Have a wonderful day too!
      Best wishes,
      Lisa

      Löschen
  3. I am surprised to see how easy it is make cuttings from hydrangeas. I am trying my roses to reproduce! I heard about a very easy method. Just put the cutting in the soil next to the rose. In autumn though, so I can relax a little. Groetjes Hetty

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hi Hetty,
      yes, with hydrangeas it is really easy. Lovely that you want to propagate your roses! I have tried the method you are taking about, and yes it is working and probably less time consuming and tricky than propagating them in small containers. I am looking forward to hear about your rose cuttings once you took them!
      Best wishes,
      Lisa

      Löschen
  4. Hello Lisa, are they Hydrangeas? Here in Brazil I buy the seedlings already ready because they are very cheap.
    But here are several ways to give different color.
    I do not think I saw the translator on your blog, so it would be quicker to understand k. Sorry, my English is not good. K.
    Good week's continuation.
    Hugs,
    Janicce

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Dear Janicce,
      thanks a lot for your comment!
      yes you´re right! They are hydrangeas. I added the translator today. Hope it works!
      Hugs,
      Lisa

      Löschen
  5. Hi, Lisa, how are you?
    This is where we are in winter, and the cold is very intense, it snows but the thermal sensation is very low.
    The trainer always helps with languages ​​that are not as normal as English k.
    On my succulents all here on the spot are outside in the garden.
    Every day first of every month I have a new blog post.
    Hugs.
    Janicce.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Dear Janicce,
    thank you, I am fine! I am a bit busy because I am moving to another flat. I hope you are fine too! That´s great that you can leave your succulents outside!
    I put you on my blog list- so from now on I will see when you wrote a new post.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...